Iap kits?

Forum for users of DrumPerfect drum sequencer app for IOS.

Iap kits?

Postby Fitz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Marinus,
Really enjoying your app. I want to use the ipad for music making but have always stumbled at making my own rhythms, especially the human feel + high quality sounds. I think Drumperfect is the answer, so thanks. I think part of the quality is the samples, and the time and effort you put into making great sounding kits. I'm happy with the drum side of it but think it would be great to have hand drums and percussion. Just wondering if either you, or someone else was thinking of expanding kits in this direction, as in IAPs? Thanks again.
Fitz

Re: Iap kits?

Postby Marinus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:28 pm

@Fitz: This is indeed a great idea that has been mentioned by others as well.

It is a matter of collecting a quality set of samples and map them on a kit, which is rather straightforward: the kit files are xml and are easy to understand.

I would be happy to do it, but given DP's quite long LPFF (List of Possible Future Features ;-) ) it would be fantastic if others would start creating such kits.
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby ZenLizard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:32 am

There are many libraries on-line which can be downloaded and include multisamples of all kinds of percussion instruments. Price varies from free to more than $100. Quality varies from crap to really excellent. I uploaded a bunch of "one shot" samples from a library made by ProDrumWorks earlier today. There were ten levels of stroke strength for each piece, and right and left hand strokes for each level, so I didn't need to use them all.

It is only a matter of time before DrumPerfect specific libraries are available from private users and sample/patch companies alike. I know of at least one person working on a library of percussion instruments right now that he intends to share for free. I will post a message in this forum when they are available, but please be patient. He is a very busy percussionist and it is a time consuming process to record and edit the multiple levels and articulations.
ZenLizard

Postby Fitz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 am

A question about mapping. When filling the 4 slots for high left (for example), would you just put slightly different sounding samples in, or different velocities? And when you fill the Low slots would they be already lower velocity samples, or does Drumperfect lower the velocities? Just wondering if I put lower velocity samples in the Low slots, then lower the velocity on the sequencer am I doing the same thing twice? Hope that's understandable.
Fitz

Postby Marinus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 pm

@Fitz: slightly different samples would be perfect. DP will do the normalization and velocity scaling.
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby ZenLizard » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 pm

@Fitz — For best results, remember that drums tend to produce a sharper, brighter sound as they get hit harder. The built in lowpass filter on each instrument can help to progressively reduce the higher frequencies on bright samples.
ZenLizard

Postby Fitz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 pm

So, just so I understand, Drumperfect normalises the samples anyway, so it's irrelevant what volume they are originally? Then the program adjusts the samples to fit the velocity that is programmed in the sequencer? So the important factor is a variety of good samples, which can be placed in any of the 4 slots, and DP does the rest? And if a sample is too bright the filter can adjust, and this can be done independently for each sample. It's a shame there is no auditioning of samples so we could hear them as we are creating and editing the instruments.
Fitz

Postby Marinus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:55 am

@Fitz: yes, as you describe it. The velocity programmed in the sequencer will determine the right mix between low and high sample.

Auditioning can be done as follows: program a few strokes of the instrument to edit in a pattern and start play, then enter the kit editor ("Edit") and tap the desired sample slot (make sure "Select" is off). Next, tapping a sample in the list will immediately audition it. Moreover, you can fill the whole sound bank without leaving the sample list by navigating through the sample slots via the "<" and ">" buttons and by tapping the desired sample for each slot.
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby Fitz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:05 am

Great, thanks. So when your choosing the sample the sequencer will only play that sample rather than running through the random selection it normally does?
Fitz

Postby Marinus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:18 am

No, the random selection _will_ remain active. I'll think about this. Thanks for bringing this up!
Marinus
Site Admin

Next

Return to DrumPerfect