[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
DrumPerfect.nl • View topic - Using DrumPerfect Pro with V-drums

Using DrumPerfect Pro with V-drums

Forum for users of DrumPerfect drum sequencer app for IOS.

Using DrumPerfect Pro with V-drums

Postby therealdmt » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:06 pm

I can go MIDI Out from my drum module (TD-12) to MIDI In on my iPad's audio interface so that when I play on my v-drum kit I trigger the DrumPerfect Pro (DPP) sounds from"Light Kit" and "Crunchy Kit" in DPP. However, not all the drums map perfectly.

In particular, my hi hat only gets an open hats sound that, after sustaining awhile, suddenly goes to an abrupt closed hats end (regardless of foot pedal position). Also, my "splash" cymbal (actually Aux 2 input on my module) won't trigger anything (though I'd like it to trigger DPP's China), and I'm not quite sure I'm getting a high tom -- all three toms sound kind of the same, whereas they're clearly distinguishable from each other when playing them directly on the iPad's touchscreen when in the app's 'Patterns' view.

Anyway, I'd like to use MIDI Learn to set up a few of my pads to trigger the desired DPP instrument, but it seems MIDI learn is only for continuous controller messages? I see that, besides the MIDI Learn in 'Settings' edit view (for CC messages), there's a MIDI Learn in the app's 'Kit' view -- but I don't see any instructions in the manual on how to use it, and I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. If MIDI Learn can't do it, Is there any other way I could get all my v-drums' pads fully matched up with the corresponding DPP sounds?
therealdmt

Re: Using DrumPerfect Pro with V-drums

Postby Marinus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Marinus
Site Admin

Re: Using DrumPerfect Pro with V-drums

Postby JRSIV » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 am

Man, that is a dream set up, V-Drums with DPPro! I had a set of V-Drums in the Tour Kit configuration (Kick, Mesh Snare, Mesh Rack Tom, Mesh Floor Tom, HH w/pedal and 2 cymbal pads) that I scored at a floor sale price at Guitar Center. It was in the mid 2000's so the technology of the pads was excellent, the brain & sound sets not so much.

Had to sell it when the wife & I moved, I regret it still. DPPro's editing capabilities are beyond any other app on iOS by a long shot, but it has the same programming stye as every drum machine/drum program does. If you don't play in the parts "live", it's step based editing; yes there are MIDI controllers that can be used but it's not the same. I have become a decent 'keyboard drummer' out if necessity, but it isn't my preferred method. Nothing is like holding sticks and getting into the pocket.

I'm curious to hear how the V-Drums have worked with DPPro, outside of this HiHat issue. Do all velocity fluctuations register? How accurate is the tracking from the triggers? I realize all the things the " live" V-Drums run through misses can be edited quickly but I am just curious how those initial inputs are registered within the V-Drums->MIDI Interface->CCK input->iPad/DPPro chain.

Thanks for any info and hopefully the hats situation is handled in a upcoming update.
JRSIV

Return to DrumPerfect