Issue: Tempo change w/Auria

Forum for users of DrumPerfect drum sequencer app for IOS.

Issue: Tempo change w/Auria

Postby danhedonia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Using DP in Auria, cannot control tempo.

When entering DP app and using DP interface, tempo is correct BUT Auria won't 'hear' the sounds. When started in Auria, tempo is greatly accelerated. Is this a user error? Bug?
danhedonia

Re: Issue: Tempo change w/Auria

Postby Marinus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 am

Could you please give more details on your specific setup? Are you using Inter-App Audio?
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby danhedonia » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Hello - thank you.

The original set up was: Auria open, then used the plug-in menu to select DP (regular, not Pro). I was able to start/stop DP from within Auria's (via the transport controls), but the tempo was greatly accelerated. A 'fix' was to turn off MIDI communication entirely. While this was functional, it was somewhat unsatisfying, as I would like to have that MIDI communication remain.

Around the same time, I upgraded to DP Pro. There have been no tempo issues (and the MIDI communication remains turned off), but now as I move over to DP Pro, it seems that Auria only 'hears' the sound signals -- whereas in DP (regular) I could start/stop DP from within Auria, now that is not happening. I'm not sure why. So I have had to turn off MIDI, *and* I cannot start/stop DPPro from within Auria. This last bit is important as starting / stopping within Auria allows me to use the beats/measures on the transport, and align things musically rather than mins/secs (imprecise and more work).

My iPad is a 'song sketchbook' for me, and I do more work in an analog home studio, so in part my primary interest here is in "plug and play" functionality -- I'd like to program out a song's measures in DPPro, start that from within Auria, and be done with it.

Tablet: iPad Air 2. I'm extremely grateful to have your attention to this, thank you for any assistance or reply.
danhedonia

Postby Marinus » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:06 am

In order to start/stop DPP via the Auria transport controls, include the IAA-generator "DPP All Instruments" in the fx channel strip for of one of the Auria tracks. DPP will then sync to Auria.
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby danhedonia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:24 am

Thank you - this is very helpful. Is there a master-clock 'instrument' included in "All Instruments" that does not go with the individual instruments?
danhedonia

Postby Marinus » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 am

Yes there is. The "All instruments" port has the audio unit. The others are just data channels.
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby danhedonia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Hello -

This problem continues to frustrate me -- I am now in hour #2 attempting to set up the following simple recording to Auria:

DP Pro (all inst) > channel 1
DP Pro (inst. 1) > channel 2
DP Pro (inst. 2) > channel 3
DP Pro (inst. 3) > channel 4
DP Pro (inst. 4) > channel 5
DP Pro (inst. 5) > channel 6

Among the many, many crashes of the DPPro app (in one case, losing a bit of song-part programming), there have also been these results:
* channel 1 will record all instruments, but none of the other channels (appropriately routed and armed for recording) record sound
* some instruments will record - but 'auto-start' from within Auria does not work

Last week, I was able to record individual DPPro instruments to individual Auria channels - but did not do "all inst" alongside.

This is not a simple matter, as every time DPPro crashes, one has to choose the kit again, etc. Frankly, this is not a problem I've had with a few other apps (DM1, iElectribe and Funkbox), and it is making me wish for better functionality.
danhedonia

Postby Marinus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing!

What iPad/iOS version are you running on?

Marinus

P.S.:
Have you seen this video on the subject by Derek Jones?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hizcwXxfeE0
Marinus
Site Admin

Postby danhedonia » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:55 pm

I appreciate your willingness to respond.

iPad Air 2. IOS 9.3.3

After the previous post, I did manage to get the functionality I needed; it simply required many, many restarts, attempts, etc. My sense was that somehow, the CoreAudio was simply not processing information properly. One odd indicator was that if I closed DPP and then Auria, and reopened Auria, only some of the channels that were armed would retain that info - and not in an organized way.

There seems to be a great deal of sensitivity involved in getting the two apps to work together. As this is central to my workflow, it's quite important to me. My alternative is to either abandon DPP (for DM-1, which has far less character, sonically) or abandon Auria.

I wish I could offer more info other than "geez, this is frustrating," and listing problems that are not repeating / repeatable errors. It seems as if perhaps the two apps require more computing power than I have, but that also would seem undesirable to me, as this is not an 'old' iPad, and I would think developers would aim mass market apps at larger user bases.

Last, I did try cold-rebooting (once, not three times as I saw somewhere ...) and that did not solve the problem.
danhedonia

Postby Marinus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:07 am

Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing.

Did you also try to achieve your goal via Audiobus?

At leasr, Audiobus will offer the option to apply "state saving" on your setup, such that you can restore saved presets.
Marinus
Site Admin

Next

Return to DrumPerfect