Cannot set individual tempo for patterns in a song

Forum for users of DrumPerfect drum sequencer app for IOS.

Cannot set individual tempo for patterns in a song

Postby Unclebelly » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi
I'm new to drumperfect pro but I love it
I'm getting a good handle on things but something really has got me stuck

I have a song that I run at 86 bpm but there is a section I want to run at 128bpm so I've link set the song to 86bpm and tried to set an individual pattern to run at 128bpm but when I save that tempo change then the whole song runs at 128bpm
What am I missing here
This is really important

On a separate note I notice I may want to add a fill to a section that let's say the previous pattern was 2 bars (8 beats long)long and the fill is only 2beats long so for example I want that part to be 12 beats long but instead is 8 beats
Am I missing something here
Thanks for any help
Cheers
UNclebelly
Unclebelly

Re: Cannot set individual tempo for patterns in a song

Postby Gilbert » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for using and enjoying DrumPerfect Pro.

To achieve the results you are aiming at, all your patterns need to be saved at 86 BPM except those from the 128 BPM section ( they will be saved at 128 BPM ). Then, build your song and make sure that the Song Tempo slider is reset. Also make sure the Ableton Link is disabled and the Clock source has "DrumPerfect" selected/highlighted ( in Settings view ). Save your song. It should now play following the tempo changes of the patterns.

To add fills, there are 2 usual ways to proceed.
1- make one pattern for the groove and one ( or more ) for the fill (s).
2- make one combined pattern containing groove and fill ( appended ) at the end.

Your groove is currently 8 beats and the fill 2 beats, but you need a 12 beats part.
What I would do is extend the groove to 10 beats.
For this:
"Copy" pattern ( your groove ) and "Append" to itself. It has now 16/4 Time signature. Change the time signature to 10/4. Your pattern will be truncated to 10 beats. In song, insert Groove pattern ( 10 beats ) followed by Fill pattern (2 beats ).
This method offers the possibility to vary the fills, if this part is being repeated in the song.

The other way.
Make a copy of your new groove pattern ( 10 beats ).
( Save it if you want to use it for variations with different fills. )
"Copy" your Fill pattern and "Append" it to the 10 beats Groove pattern copy ( in pattern view ). Time signature will be changed to 12/4. Save it.
Now ready to be used in the song.
Note: Groove and Fill patterns should be at the same BPM to avoid confusion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Gilbert

Postby Unclebelly » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:52 pm

That really helped with tempo change straight away
Big big thanks.
I'll try the way to use fills you outlined asap.
I'm in Hong Kong time and it's night time now
Thanks so much for your help
I love this app and will use it to direct audio into Auria
Should I use stereo or each individual track? I guess that might be much more complex getting 16 tracks of drums into Auria?
Unclebelly

Postby Gilbert » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 am

Should I use stereo or each individual track? I guess that might be much more complex getting 16 tracks of drums into Auria?

It depends of how much detailed processing you think is necessary for your drum track. DPP already has tools for some processing ( comp, rooms, mixer... ).
If more is needed, I would start exporting a stereo track ( mix and pan but no processing ) and see what can be done in Auria. If it sits well in the mix, then I might decide to spend more time with each stem ( individual instrument track ) exported to Auria, and fine tuning with Auria FX. ( You could as well record DPP instruments outputs to Auria ). I suggest you to read/watch a bit on mixing techniques, experiment, and let your ear decide.The overall sound of the drum part should relate to the musical context and the density of the arrangement in the song. Exporting 16 tracks is not much more complicated than a stereo track, but you will have to create 16 tracks in Auria, and then beside more flexibility, it will be more time consuming to reach your desired sound. Good luck.
Gilbert

Return to DrumPerfect