DrumPerfect As Live Drum Rig

Forum for users of DrumPerfect drum sequencer app for IOS.

DrumPerfect As Live Drum Rig

Postby ajb » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm new to DrumPerfect Pro, and was hoping to use it for live solo acoustic guitar gigs. I'd like to be able to do the following:

- map different song parts (intro, verse, chorus) to separate external midi buttons, with an automatic, random fill as a transition.

- be able to switch between different preprogrammed songs (with their own kits, patterns, etc.) using external midi

I hope to use Setlist Maker's midi out to change between songs, and iRig Blueboard to trigger Start/Stop, Intro pattern, Verse pattern, Chorus pattern.

Is DrumPerfect Pro able to make this set-up possible, and if so, what is the best way to go about setting it up? If not, do you have an iOs based suggestion that would be able to do this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
ajb

Re: DrumPerfect As Live Drum Rig

Postby Dov64 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 am

I bought Drumperfect Pro for virtually the same reason - I want to use it to accompany my piano/keyboard playing. I decided to use BandHelper rather than Set List Maker, but given the similarities, I imagine the configuration would be nearly the same.

What I learned is that currently you can use MIDI to select pattern and kit, and command start/stop as well as trigger fills, where the pattern is configured for that (as opposed to fill every N bars). By the way, I have asked the developer of DPP if he plans to support direct MIDI selection of songs and navigation within songs. He has not answered as of this date.

Here is a copy of my post on the BandHelper forum:

Integrating BandHelper and DrumPerfect Pro

I wanted to integrate BandHelper (“BH”) and DrumPerfect Pro (“DPP”) so that when I select a song from a BandHelper set list, the drum pattern and kit are selected, and the beat starts. I expected BH to set the Tempo via Ableton Link.

Intially, DPP responded only to Program Changes messages (select Kit and Pattern), but not Control Change (Swing, Trigger, Start/Stop, etc). Ableton worked right away to set my Tempo.

After experimenting for a while, I found a configuration that works 100% reliably:
1) In DPP, enable only the DrumPerfect virtual “MIDI destination” on a specific channel (I chose 10).
2) In DPP, disable all the corresponding “MIDI source” options, including “Network Session 1” and “BandHelper”.
3) In BH, create a MIDI Device with Port All (Arlo’s recommendation so changes on the other side don’t cause a problem) and your DPP channel.

Voila, completely reliable control of DrumPerfect Pro!
Dov64

Return to DrumPerfect